Monday, April 6, 2015

Annual Easter Egg Hunt



Easter is a joyous holiday which I spend with my father’s family each year. On Easter morning, I attend Mass with my family, and then we go out to eat at a restaurant for an early dinner. The highlight of Easter in my family is the traditional egg hunt. Each year, two members from each family (my dad is one of four siblings) participates in the egg hunt. The week before Easter, my grandmother colors a dozen eggs, and the previous year’s winner hides the eggs in my grandmother’s house.  After Easter dinner we return to my grandmother’s house for the egg hunt to commence. My family is very competitive, so the egg hunt is taken very seriously. Members of my family roll on the floor to look under tables and couches and also stand on chairs to look on ceiling fans and air conditioners. The egg hunt is over when all 12 eggs have been found. Whoever found the most eggs is the winner and will hide the eggs for next year’s hunt. This year the hunt ended in a tie with my aunt, my cousin, and I all finding 3 eggs. My aunt and I graciously let my cousin be named the winner since she has never won before.  She will hide the eggs next Easter. I love spending Easter with my family and enjoy the traditions that we participate in each year.


Vocabulary
joyous (adjective)- full of joy and happiness
highlight (noun)- important event
hunt (noun)- a search to find something
dozen (noun)-group of 12
commence (verb)- to begin
competitive (adjective)- strong desire to win
graciously (adverb)-willingly or kindly

Vocabulary Exercise
Match the vocabulary word with the appropriate antonym (word meaning the opposite).

1. ____commence                                                    a. unhappy
2. ____hunt                                                              b. to end
3. ____competitive                                                   c. unwillingly
4. ____graciously                                                     d. unambitious
5. ____dozen                                                             e. unimportant event
6. ____highlight                                                        f.  ten
7. ____joyous                                                            g. give up searching

Grammar Point
 Prepositional phrases modify nouns and verbs. Prepositional phrases consist most simply of a preposition and an object of the preposition. Some common prepositions that I used in my post are on, for, to, in, and with. The prepositional phrases from my post include of my family, for the egg hunt, and in a tie.

Complete the following sentences by adding a prepositional phrase.

1. The car _________________________________ was red.
2. The dog ran _____________________________.
3. Please look for the boat ___________________________.
4. The shop ________________________sells the best fudge.

5. I went to the movies __________________________. 

No comments:

Post a Comment