Monday, April 6, 2015

Shopping



Shopping is one of my favorite hobbies. I love buying things for myself, but I also enjoy purchasing items for other people. When I walk into a store with the goal of buying a present for another person, whether it is a family member or a friend, I contemplate what type of gift would make them happy. I always try to purchase something that I know the person would like rather than if I like it myself.  Since the weather is getting nicer as we move into spring, I decided to go shopping for some new spring clothing this week. At the start of a new season, it always feels good to find a new outfit appropriate for the change in weather. When I went shopping this week, I purchased two new dresses made out of a lighter material that are perfect for the warmer temperatures that spring will bring. I am definitely looking forward to wearing these dresses in the coming weeks as the weather gets nicer!

Vocabulary
hobbies (noun)-activities or interests done for pleasure
goal (noun)- end or aim
contemplate (verb)-to think about deeply
purchase (verb)- to buy
season (noun)-a period of the year characterized by changes in weather or temperature
outfit (noun)-set of clothes worn together

Vocabulary Exercise
Please fill in the blank with the appropriate vocabulary word.

1. Fiona’s _________________ include reading, sewing, and playing basketball.
2. My favorite ___________________ is fall because I love when the leaves change color.
3. Claire bought a new ___________________ to wear to her friend’s birthday party.
4. I need to ___________________ a new headlight for my car.
5. During math class, the students__________________ how to solve the difficult problem on fractions.
6. The _____________of the game is to reach the finish line first.

Grammar Point
There are four types of sentences: declarative, interrogative, imperative, and exclamatory. 
1) Declarative sentences make a statement and end in a period (.).
2) Interrogative sentences ask a question and end in a question mark (?).
3) Imperative sentences give a command or request and end in a period (.).
4) Exclamatory sentences express strong feeling and ends in an exclamation point (!).

In each of the following sentences identify the type of sentence and add the correct punctuation at the end of the sentence.

1. Christine went to the beach
2. Park the car in the driveway
3. I cannot wait to go to Ireland this summer
4. Do you know what time it is
5. Matt painted his room blue

No comments:

Post a Comment