Monday, April 6, 2015

Stress Release

Having a full time teaching job, going to graduate school, and maintaining a private tutoring business puts a lot of stress on my daily life. Although I enjoy teaching as well as going to school, at times I need to find time to remove myself from the structured events of my day. The way I have found to best relieve my stress is by going to fitness classes at the gym where I belong. My two favorite classes are Zumba and yoga. These two classes are very different, but both offer ways for me to let go of all my stress. Zumba is a high-energy cardio workout that incorporates dancing and fitness with upbeat music. I really enjoy this class because I feel like I am dancing for an hour, and I love to dance! Yoga is a much more slow-paced, relaxing workout. When I practice yoga, I feel at peace, and all my worries and concerns fall away. Through stretching and mediation, my mind focuses on the moves I need to hold and is no longer bothered by any problems or troubles I had encountered in my day or week. I think it is important for everyone to find their own ways of relieving their stress. Holding on to stress can make you sick, both mentally and physically. Attending Zumba and yoga classes at my gym give me the positive endorphins to rid myself of stress.

 


Vocabulary

structured (adjective)- clearly defined organization
relieve (verb)- to reduce or ease pain or anxiety
Zumba (noun)-fitness program combining dance with aerobic routines performed to popular, usually Latin-American, music
yoga (noun)- mental and physical exercises to reach spiritual enlightenment
practice (verb)-to repeat or perform frequently
concerns (noun)-worry or anxiety
endorphins (noun)- hormones that reduce pain and produce happy feelings

Vocabulary Exercise
Match the vocabulary word with the correct synonym.

1.____ Zumba                                                     a. positive hormones
2. ____practice                                                    b. worries
3.____yoga                                                          c. dance-inspired fitness class
4. ____endorphins                                               d. diminish
5. ____concerns                                                   e. organized
6. ____relieve                                                      f. mental and physical fitness class
7. ____structured                                                 g. carry out regularly

Grammar Point
Coordinating conjunctions connect words, phrases, and clauses. There are seven coordinating conjunctions that can be remembered by the acronym FANBOYS: for, and, nor, but, or, yet, so.

Fill in the following sentences with an appropriate coordinating conjunction.

1. Deserts are hot and dry, _______________ some plants grow there.
2. Richard might go to the movies, ____________ he might stay home.
3. Our family went on vacation, _______________ we visited the Washington Monument.
4. Laura wants to go to Paris, ________________ she does not have enough money.
5. Sabrina runs every day, ___________ she wants to stay in shape.


No comments:

Post a Comment